Xlib moved to git

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Sun Feb 19 07:42:51 PST 2006

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 11:58:36PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> Development for the X library has been moved to git. I've created a
> repository on git.freedesktop.org in
>
> 	git+ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/lib/libX11
>
> Please treat this just as you would have a central CVS repository,
> pushing your own changes to the repository. Feel free to make branches
> in this repository; do make sure that 'master' is something reasonable
> for people to use though.

I think moving to git is going to be a good thing, but there really
should be a transition period.  There is a huge base of knowledge with
CVS in the X.Org community, but relatively little with git.

I would like to see some pointers for how to use git, where to get the
tools, how to build them on all of the architectures we support and what
we want the basic policies to be for pushing changes to the master.  I
think simple links would suffice to bootstrap the process.  We can
rebuild the rest of the community knowledge within the wiki.

Kevin