no x

Stuart Kreitman Stuart.Kreitman at Sun.COM
Sun Feb 19 11:28:50 PST 2006

Daniel Stone wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 10:54:19AM -0800, Stuart Kreitman wrote:
>

>>perhaps an error in the install/upgrade to 6.9.
>>a thorough uninstall/reinstall of the packages might help.
>>How thorougly do the Debian folks test their upgrade scripts?
>>

>We do not have upgrade scripts.  The package management is solid: if
>xserver-xorg 6.9.0.dfsg.1-5 is installed, then xserver-xorg
>6.9.0.dfsg.1-5 is installed.  There's no halfway.

that sounds great. Now let's address Jaap van Wingerde's broken machine.
He reports that he installed  xorg-x11 (6.9.0.dfsg.1-3), not "1-5" which
you refer to.

So, we need to hear back from him whether the install complained,
attaching install log files, and suggest to him to try the 1-5 kit if it
is better.

Can you suggest anything else I missed so that he might try to get his
system to run?

skk