Xlib moved to git

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Feb 19 13:26:26 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 10:42 -0500, Kevin E Martin wrote:

> I think moving to git is going to be a good thing, but there really
> should be a transition period.  There is a huge base of knowledge with
> CVS in the X.Org community, but relatively little with git.

Yes, I agree. I suggest that Xlib is a fairly slow backwater of our
world, and that this particular migration has given me the chance to
educate a few members of our community in how git works and sit down for
an entire day doing the work.

> I would like to see some pointers for how to use git, where to get the
> tools, how to build them on all of the architectures we support and what
> we want the basic policies to be for pushing changes to the master.  I
> think simple links would suffice to bootstrap the process.  We can
> rebuild the rest of the community knowledge within the wiki.

There are several reasonable git tutorials on the web. For simple uses,
the cogito front-end can be easier to use. Here's what the cogito
developer sent to me when I enquired about it:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=git&m=113996590313352&w=2

A tutorial introduction to git:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/tutorial.html

keith.packard at intel.com