Xlib moved to git

Tue Feb 21 10:53:25 PST 2006

Not sure if you intended to send this to the whole mailing list, but
since that cat's already out of the bag...

Stuart Kreitman wrote:
> alan:
>
> I'd like to know how pissed to get at this. Is he forking
> freedesktop.org  or just pushing the envelope?

I'd say pushing the envelope.   Personally, I don't plan to get pissed
at all - mildly annoyed and amused that after all the pissing and moaning
about a small group at XFree86 making decisions that affected developers
behind closed doors and announcing things after the fact, we're now seeing
people do the same in X.Org's name.

I don't know enough about git to say whether it's a good or a bad thing.
I wonder if it meets the criteria I'd set for a system that I'm not sure
everyone else would:

1) Needs to have usable clients on a wide range of platforms, since we do
    have people actively using Xorg code on Linux, *BSD, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX,
    CygWin, MacOS X/Darwin, UnixWare and probably a half dozen more that don't
    come instantly to mind.

2) Needs to be easily usable across firewalls.   In the case of the firewall
    I deal with, calling an external ssh client as CVS did, works well, since
    I've already got ssh configured with the right socks proxy magic.

In the end I'll live with it, but having to figure out how to build and install
a new SCM client wasn't in my plans for this week, but I guess will have to be
now.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com