Installing Xorg

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Tue Feb 21 23:06:27 PST 2006

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 05:03:21PM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
>
>>Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>>>You can just use the normal way (without build.sh). See "Building
>>>individual module components by hand" at
>>>http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide.
>>>
>>>Or just don't install to /usr/local and install in your testing directory
>>>as you do your debugging.
>>
>>But i tried installing in a local directory, but the whole thing takes
>>an hour to recompile when i want to try it in /usr/local.

It would be obvious if the manual said that was the way to do it.

It should have been blindingly obvious that a build script is useless
if it doesn't have simple options for development.

I've been debugging it for the last few hours re-running builds to
put in options that should already have been there.

 > I guess saying 'comment out the "make install" line in build.sh' would
 > be a little too obvious?

The script shouldn't unconditionally sudo-install stuff, so a few other
things need changing.

Why couldn't there be a top-level ./configure script like all other
multi-configure projects?