i810 + Dell 2405W @ 1920x1200

Torkil Svensgaard tsv at scrconsulting.dk
Tue Feb 21 23:52:35 PST 2006

"Andreas Schildbach" <andreas at schildbach.de> skrev i en meddelelse
news:dtemqa$948$1 at sea.gmane.org...
> Torkil Svensgaard wrote:
>
>> With the help of a utility called 915resolution and a custom modeline,
>> xorg accepts the mode and the logs shows no problem but I just get a
>> blank screen and the onscreen status readout states the screen is in
>> powersave mode.
>>
>> Running Debian on kernel 2.6.15 and X Window System Version 6.9.0.
>
> Don't know if I can help. I've got the same monitor connected to a
> i915GMS, and had a hard time to get it to work. I'm also still using Xorg
> 6.8 and had to use the patched 6.8 (!) driver at
>
> http://www.fairlite.demon.co.uk/intel.html
>
> It is important that you get 60 Hz as closely as possible (the monitors
> spec asks for exactly 60 Hz; I observed that the monitor syncs approx.
> from 55 to 65 Hz).
>
> On my machine (Dell Latitude X1) the modeline is not the only variable, as
> the signal also depends on the mode you override with 915resolution (that
> behaviour may very well be dependant on the BIOS).
>
> In my case, I used the following modeline:
>
> Modeline "1920x1200" 154.0 1920 1968 2000 2080 1200 1203 1209 1235
> +HSync -VSync
>
> And I've overridden mode 800x600 with this option in the device section:
>
> Option          "ForceBIOS" "800x600=1920x1200"
>
> (this is an alternative syntax of the patched driver, you can also use
> 915resolution if you want)

Thank you for your suggestions, it didn't quite do the trick though but
might have put me a step closer.

I used your modeline/tried the new driver and the xorg log file states
everything goes well and it's doing 1920x1200 @ 59,95 Hz.

No matter which resolution I override, the monitor displays a notice that it
can't show the signal it is getting though. This suggest it doesn't like the
frequency?

Any ideas for a next step?

Regards,

Torkil