AIGLX, metacity, nvidia and Xgl

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Fri Feb 24 08:34:04 PST 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 03:49, Benjy Grogan wrote:
> I would like to know what advantages Xgl or AIGLX will have other than the
> eye candy.  Will it be possible to develop an application that will use
> openGL and then be able to run the application remotely, as is currently
> possible with gnome applications?

This has always been possible, and works with the X server you already have.
The advantage is it will now go fast (with either new server technology).

Yes, this means running q3 on one machine and displaying it on another.  Woo!

> Say if I were to develop a medical imaging application that allowed the
> user to traverse a human skull, would I be able to run this program
> remotely using Xgl, and only send GL commands using XML over the network?

No, you would send GL commands using the GLX protocol, which is the way X does
GL anyway.

> Is XGL related to the XGL File Format Specification
> <http://www.xglspec.org/> ?

XGL.

> There has to be more to these next gen desktop technologies than eye candy.

There is.

- ajax