Stripping binaries in modular build

Martijn Uffing mp3project at sarijopen.student.utwente.nl
Tue Feb 28 06:01:47 PST 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Owen Taylor wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 13:52 +0100, Martijn Uffing wrote:
> > Ave people
> >

> > I'm trying to build xorg/Mesa from the CVS tree on a debian sarge system.
> > So far so good, but the resulting /tmp/modular and building tree are
> > becoming... quite huge.
> >
> > I can imagine the CVS tree is meant to be build for developers, so full of
> > debug info. However, I just want to test it with my hardware and want
> > to keep the /tmp/modular and buildtree small.
> >
> > I can't find any switch in the build.sh script or the various configure
> > scripts to strip the binaries of debug info. Do I overlook something?
>
> CFLAGS=-O2
> export CFLAGS

Thank you, will try it

> Before you configure will build everything without debugging
> information. On the other hand, if you build everything without
> debugging information, you won't be able to submit useful bug
> reports so the value of building from CVS is minimal...
>
> 					Owen

Well. I just wanted to try to build some minimal xorg and play with the
config settings. I already compiled a lot of monolith xorg's and apart
from building problems (some combinations of DRI/DRM yes/no didn't work)
I never encountered serious bugs!

Of course if I encounter bugs, I will rebuild with "normal" debug info
before submitting a bug report. But until this day, xorg isn't buggy
enough for me to build default with debug info. See this as a compliment!

Greetz Mu