Finishing Composite to handle transformed windows

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jan 6 17:28:20 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 16:30 -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:

> Moving the highest normal window to the topmost stack and moving the
> lowest topmost window to the normal stack is tantamount to no stack
> change at all. It's effectively a no-op, as far as normal standard X11
> events are concerned. So I would suggest that these operations generate
> no events at all.

I'm thinking that topmost windows won't be visible under QueryTree;
otherwise window managers will attempt to manage them, and applications
may reasonably be confused when RaiseWindow doesn't result in a window
at the visible top of the stack.

With this semantic, we need some idea of what events will be generated
when a window moves between these two groups; otherwise windows will
appear and disappear without any notification.

> > Another question is whether it is valid and useful to allow
> > non-overrideRedirect topmost windows. I suggest that we should allow
> > this, but that we note that existing window managers are unlikely to do
> > anything useful with these windows, and in fact without knowledge that
> > the window manager will work correctly, applications are probably better
> > off not creating such windows.
>
> This seems reasonable to me. (See the notes for rules #3 and #4 above).

yeah, I like the 'your wm will likely not handle this' rule; it allows
us to provide wm rules in the future if it makes sense.

-keith