Finishing Composite to handle transformed windows

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Jan 6 21:39:54 PST 2006

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:19:53 +1100 Russell Shaw <rjshaw at netspace.net.au>
babbled:

> What is the point of a 3D gui?

because it is a good "extreme case" example of  what people want and WILL use.

> Who would use menus that are tilted from the screen normal-axis?

it's an extreme case - but if we handle it - we handle everything simpler too.
it's a matter of designing it right so its POSSIBLE - if you don't want it -
that's fine. i know i have dozens of users asking daily for things liek
dynamically scaled output windows, alpha blending between them, live window
thumbnails that can also be interactive etc. (ie your miniature web browser
window in your pager ACTUALLY can be scrolled/clicked on etc. IN the pager -
while its scaled down). users ASK for it. and it IS possible. it's possible to
do even in software - if you are smart about it.

> None of this 3D stuff will fit into small embedded hardware.

subsets of it can - 2d scaling done in GOOD software is usable on embedded hw -
i've been doing it for years. 3d within limits is possible too (no
interpolation or ansiotropic filtering) with software rendering. if you haven't
noticed nvidia and ati both have 3d capable embedded chipsets - as well as
others too. with embedded you wont' be dealing with 1600x1200 windows to
scale/rottate/twist/bend - likely more like 640x480 at most and the embedded
chipsets can handle a few of these at once quite happily.