cvt modeline generator

Luc Verhaegen. libv at skynet.be
Sat Jan 7 09:36:39 PST 2006

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 04:02:55PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> OK, since it can't be generated, how is one supposed to select it ?
> Has it got a pre-defined alias in xorg ?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Mailhot

Nothing stops you from providing a modeline with actual PAL timing
instead of a modeline produced by cvt. Google turns up many results.

Tv encoders can usually handle a wide range (well, maybe not wide) of
modes and scale/filter to match the tv-standard used. So you really
shouldn't mind too much. It's not as if TVs are meant for accuracy or
stability.

Some drivers have their tv-encoder code attach their own modes though.
My tv-encoders currently refuse all but those that they attached
themselves, and config provided modelines are scrapped when the
tv-encoder is in use.

If you're not using a tv-encoder, then there seems little point in
trying to adhere to PAL. I'm sure your projector is able to handle other
modes as well, if not a lot better.

Either way, the chance that you really need an exact PAL timing
modeline is pretty slim.

Luc Verhaegen.