Finishing Composite to handle transformed windows

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Wed Jan 11 12:08:50 PST 2006

Keith Packard wrote On 01/10/06 17:13,:
> On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 08:30 -0700, Brian Paul wrote:
>
> There's no tremendous hurry here; we can't usefully use Mesa/DRI for a
> Compositing manager until Mesa/DRI can paint to the off-screen buffers
> holding the redirected content.

What do you mean by "compositing manager?" In my mind, a compositing
manager is a program which takes the backing pixmaps of redirected
windows and uses these images in some way to render to the screen.
In this sense, the LG Display Server is a compositing manager and
it uses GL. There is nothing in what a composite manager does that
requires it to be able to render to off-screen buffers.  Note that
this is different from wanting to run a GL program in an environment
controlled by a compositing manager. For this to work GL needs to
be able to render into offscreen buffers.