Two Screens with Radeon... How?

Hamish Marson hamish at travellingkiwi.com
Sat Jan 14 07:23:15 PST 2006

Alex Deucher wrote:

> On 1/12/06, Hamish Marson <hamish at travellingkiwi.com> wrote:

[deleted]

>> somethting along the lines of what's below should get you going.
>> You may need to define a modeline for the 1680x1050 mode or
>> define the hsync or vrefresh ranges in your monitor sections.
>> Also, ignore the secondary radeon pci id. it's just a flag used
>> to make dualhead work on windows 2000. see the radeon man page
>> for more information.
>
>> Section "ServerLayout" Identifier "Layout" InputDevice
>> "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard" InputDevice "Mouse[1]"
>> "CorePointer" Screen 0 "Screen[0]" 0 0 Screen 1
>> "Screen[1]" RightOf "Screen[0]" EndSection
>
>> Section "Screen" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Depth
>> 24 Modes "1680x1050" EndSubSection Device "Device[0]"
>> Identifier "Screen[0]" Monitor "Monitor[0]" EndSection
>
>> Section "Screen" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Depth
>> 24 Modes "1024x768" EndSubSection Device "Device[1]"
>> Identifier "Screen[1]" Monitor "Monitor[1]" EndSection
>
>> Section "Device" BoardName "Radeon" BusID "1:0:0"
>> Driver "radeon" Identifier "Device[0]" Screen 0
>> Option "MonitorLayout" "TMDS, CRT" EndSection
>
>> Section "Device" BoardName "Radeon" BusID "1:0:0"
>> Driver "radeon" Identifier "Device[1]" Screen 1
>> EndSection
>
>> Section "Monitor" Identifier "Monitor[0]" EndSection
>
>> Section "Monitor" Identifier "Monitor[1]" EndSection

Bingo.

Thatks for that Alex. Seems the bit I was missing is the
'DefaultDepth' statement for the second screen, plus explicitly
disabling the mergedFB. Then cloning disables & I get two displays
(0.0 and 0.1).

A pity KDE wan't move windows betwene them like it can between
desktops, but until I can get mergednonrectangular working (Gentoo
amd64 and 7.0 doesn't work yet, it compiles but coredumps) it will do.

I might investigate kde a bit more & see whether it's capable of
treating two pseudo xinerama displays as separate desktops as well...

Oh. One thing that the radeo driver still gets wrong is the amount of
memory. And it won't let me override it... Tells me it KNOWS the mem
is 128MB & won't believe it's a 256MB card...