Xvideo CPU usage in 6.9.0

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Mon Jan 16 16:55:15 PST 2006

Am Sonntag, den 15.01.2006, 18:34 +0200 schrieb Dag Nygren:
> Hi,
>
> I might be doing something wrong here, but recently updated
> my Mandrake installation to mandriva 2006.
>
> This upgraded my Xorg from version 6.8.2 to 6.9.0.
>
> The result was that the XV controls started working, which is fine
> but also that CPU usage of the X server when displaying a MythTV
> Livet tv went up from 22-25% to 60-70%.
> This is of course not good at all. Is this just a fact or do I have to setup
> something differently?
>
> My display adapter is a ProSavage8 and the kernel is 2.6.15.

The XV implementation for this graphics chip is completely new in Xorg
6.9/7. You may have noticed horizontal interpolation. Vertical
interpolation is disabled by default due to corruption problems but can
be enabled through an XV attribute (Google for xvattr).

Unfortunately the new method is a lot slower in the hardware and since
the driver uses busy-waiting to wait for the hardware you get that high
CPU overhead. You may experiment with the BCIforXv option, but I doubt
it will change much.

Regards,
  Felix

> Best
> Dag

| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |