DPMS/Radeon - screen keeps switching back on

Kevin Shanahan kmshanah at disenchant.net
Tue Jan 17 13:46:39 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:25:39PM -0500, Felix Kühling wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 17.01.2006, 23:10 +1030 schrieb Kevin Shanahan:
> > I have a problem with DPMS that started after upgrading from xorg
> > 6.8.2 to 6.9 (Debian). When I type: "xset dpms force off", the laptop
> > screen switches off, as I want it to, but a few seconds later it
> > switches back on again. Xscreensaver doesn't seem to switch off the
> > screen as it used to either.
> >
> > I couldn't find any way to configure extra logging from X as to what
> > event is causing the screen to wake up again. Does anyone have any
> > ideas or things to try?
>
> Disconnect the mouse or turn it upside-down? Optical mice sometimes have
> a little jitter. If the mouse sensitivity changed with Xorg 6.9 that
> would explain it. You can also use xev to check if you're getting any
> spurious input events.

Thanks Felix. Unplugging the usb mouse (optical) didn't help. Of
course, this being a laptop it still has the built in 'nipple' mouse.

Ok, here's what I tried with xev:
 - open up two xterms
 - in xterm 1, sleep 10 && xset dpms force off
 - in xterm 2, xev
 - move the mouse over the xev window to focus it; I get a bunch of
   MotionNotify events as expected
 - I press the space bar to mark my place (KeyPress, KeyRelease)
 - A few seconds later sleep completes and the screen goes off
 - A few more seconds and the screen comes back on again

There's nothing in the xev output after my spacebar KeyPress,
KeyRelease events. Are there any other type events that would cause
the screen to come back on?

Thanks,
Kevin.