Xgl in X.org tree

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Jan 18 04:55:24 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 18:34 +1100, Dave Airlie wrote:
> Okay
>
> I finally got Xgl to a state in the X.org tree that I was happy to
> commit it to the main tree and I committed all the changes to the
> other directories to the xgl-0-0-1 branch.

Great! Thanks for getting this done.

> The fb/render changes (from davidr) are mainly support for YUV and
> Picture types, these should be safe to be put into the main tree
> provided they are reviewed a bit better, I'm betting the current code
> on the branch is incorrect with some of the repeat stuff, as this was
> different between xserver and xorg for backwards compat reasons.. I'm
> also not sure if anything in there might be an ABI buster.

The YUV picture code needs a second look. The repeat stuff should be
correct. Repeat, Pad, Reflect should now be working correct with
gradient and normal pictures.

Lars Knoll who wrote the initial gradient code probably wants to have a
look at the gradient updates before they land in the main tree. E.g.
I've temporarily disabled the use of color tables until we have some
code to figure out when they can be used without loss of quality and
when not.

> The GL changes need a bit of work, the MESA_render_texture code is the
> bulk of them and we aren't going to use that going forward, so it
> won't make it back into CVS HEAD, the other changes have some hacks to
> make things work on Xgl but that break the X.org tree, I'm also not so
> happy about the malloc/free function duplication I ended up doing
> between glx and glcore, I'm not 100% sure how this stuff will interact
> with krh's work on aiglx....
>
> There is also a current patch against Mesa stable at
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~airlied/xgl/
> It is against the Mesa 6.4 stable branch. and is required to compile
> Xgl for mangling fixes and to get glxcompmgr going.

You shouldn't have to use the mangled namespace with Xgl any longer.

> With this I can run glxcompmgr in Xgl and the window wobbles, it seems
> to have some flickering issues but I'll see what I can do to track
> them down..
>
> I also don't think this will work on 64-bit for the same reasons that
> Xserver doesn't work on it, but it might be worth someone trying it..
> I'll get be getting some 64-bit soon...
>
> Dave.

-David