Xorg 6.8.2 crashes on DRI i915

Stefano Papini stefano_papini2003 at yahoo.it
Wed Jan 18 06:55:57 PST 2006

Hi all,
now: I downloaded latest i915 driver, updated my /etc/
xorg.conf as per Bryan advice and, when fired startx,
got bad news:
from /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(EE) module ABI minor version (8) is newer than the
server's version (7)
(EE) failed to load module "i810" (module
requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) No driver available

Worst thing startx keeps on crashing even after:

here# cd /lib/modules/2.4.32/kernel/drivers/char/drm
here# mv i810.o new-i810.o &&
here# mv old-i810.o i810.o

OTOH I could not find where to specify my XORG version
(still 6.8.2) in the Makefile of i915 (nor to specify
the flag for architecture), in order to avoid minor
version conflicts.

Of course, Xorg 6.8.2 was working fine (even if
without DRI) with my kernel enabling AGP and DRI.

Stefano