Does anyone disagree that 5327 is a bug which needs to be fixed?

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Thu Jan 19 06:44:35 PST 2006

On Jan 19, 06 12:32:24 +0200, Ely Levy wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I think the right way will be to get rid of the zaxis mapping to buttons
> and add a zaxis event. (like there is x and y ones).

In the end, yes, it would be the right way to change the protocol. But I
don't think a z axis would be the right way, how would you deal with
multiple wheels, with integrated touch pads (have already seen that), or
integrated trackballs? It should rather be a finite, configurable number
of additional axes.

However, we'll have to keep button events for a long time in order not
to break 'older' (that is: current) applications.

> Today most programs just guess it to be button 4-5 and I already saw a lot
> of people complaining after suddenly IMPS/2 protocol changed it to 6-7 in
> xorg 6.9.

Sure. 4/5 is standard for wheel 1 (y axis), 6/7 for wheel 2 (x axis).

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg    (_   | |  (_   |__         mat at mshopf.de