XKB Data Changes, 6.8.2 -> 7.0

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Thu Jan 19 08:47:14 PST 2006

In x11r7.0 (via FC5T2) I notice that the xkb layouts have changed from
6.8.2, and the ca_enhanced layout (French Canadian) seems to have
disappeared. "ca fr-legacy" is there but it's very different. The
"ca_enhanced" layout appears to be critical for French Canadian users
(this does not directly affect me, but does affect some people with whom
I correspond).

Reading back through the archives, it seems that there has been a lot of
discussion about xkeyboard-config at various points, but I am unclear
about which xkb data set was used in 7.0.

(a) Is the ca_enhanced layout gone, or just renamed? (I have looked, and
can't seem to find it under any name).

(b) If ca_enhanced is gone, what is the easiest and best way for a
distribution to restore that functionality? (Which xkb data set should a
distro ideally be shipping?)

--
Chris Tyler