Does anyone disagree that 5327 is a bug which needs to be fixed?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jan 19 14:13:22 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 13:40 -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:

> So far, what I'm hearing is that no one disagrees with my assertion that
> mouse wheel events should not be triggering grabs.

The only concensus I saw was that mapping wheel events to buttons is a
nasty hack.

> I agree that hardcoding '< 4' into this is a bad idea. However, I don't
> know enough about the subject to know what the correct piece of general
> code is. Would someone be willing to take an action item to determine
> what the correct form of the test should be?

You can't change the semantics of button events though; that violates
the protocol. The correct fix is to generate different events for the
wheels.

The only 'bug' in the current implementation was the choice to use
button events in the first place. That's the only thing which can and
should be fixed.

keith.packard at intel.com