Need help to get VGA-to-TV working with Radeon 9250

Sebastian sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Thu Jan 26 06:05:23 PST 2006

Hi,

I thought I'd be a good idea to give modular xorg 7.0 a shot and see if
this works. Well,...

The script I used (X -layout "TV layout" ...) doesn't work anymore. All
I get is

Segmentation fault: X -layout ....

(mmh, my CFLAGS aren't unusally weird, -march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer)

Well, that's that. startx still works, so I set DefaultLayout to "TV
layout" and tried again. I got the same black screen as before.

But...

there's something interesting.

man radeon tells me that ColorTiling is enabled per default, but gets
disabled when using an interlaced mode. I remembered that I had to
disable tiling under windows. Well, after starting X and exiting I had a
look at the X logfile. It said

(II) Radeon(0): Color tiling enabled by default

That tells me that

(a) the radeon mechanism to disable tiling for
interlaced modes doesn't work

or

(b) the radeon driver doesn't know that it should output an interlaced
signal (allthough I told it to do so in the Modeline)

or

(c)

the radeon driver ignores the 'interlaced' modeline option.

Which one is it?

I also read about SyncOnGreen. I don't know what that really is but
could it be related to my problem?

Is the radeon driver up to the task to make the card output an
interlaced signal with composite sync?

Thanks

Sebastian
--
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." (HST)