Need help to get VGA-to-TV working with Radeon 9250

Sebastian sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Thu Jan 26 22:31:28 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 12:58:35AM -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:

> what port was the cable plugged into (vga or DVI)?  what about running
> without a monitorlayout line?  The way the driver is structured,
> having NONE as the first argument of monitorlayout will never work
> because it forces the driver to assume there is no monitor on the
> first crtc.  think of it more as crtcmap (with some hard coded
> assumptions).  The first argument forces the output of the first crtc
> (internal tmds, lvds, or a DAC), the second argument forces the output
> of crtc2 (external tmds, or a DAC).  In reality either crtc can drive
> any output, but like I said there are some hardcoded mappings in the
> driver.  single head mode and the first head of dualhead mode always
> use crtc1 so by forcing NONE on crtc1 you are effectively disabling
> that crtc which makes no sense in a single head set up.   I hope this
> isn't too confusing.
>
> As Felix said you may want to check and make sure you are getting any
> output first using a vga monitor.  Try no monitorlayout optionor try
> "CRT, CRT" and try the scart cable on both ports.
>
> Alex

Hi all,

you guys are absolutely right, I think I got some kind of misconception
of how X works. So my apologies especially to, Alex. I tried what you
suggested in your last mail and it worked.

That is I disconnected everything but the TV. The TV was switched on but
I zapped to another channel so that I didn't have to see the garbage
during the boot process.
Then I blindly logged in and called the tv-out script. After the sound
began to play I switched the TV to AV1 and that's it -- I got a picture
(and a really nice one, too).

So now I know that it works. But allthough the picture is great this I
would like to be able to access my flat panel. I'm now trying to play
with "CRT,CRT" and tricking the X server a little. :)

If you got any ideas I'd appreciate to hear them.

Thank you

Sebastian

--
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." (HST)