Performance issue

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Mon Jan 30 07:27:31 PST 2006

Michael Stather wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´ve a Radeon 9250 with an athlon 1ghz and your "radeon" driver.
> Direct rendering is enabled (as glxinfo returns) but the performance is
> very low,
> e.g. quake 3 isn´t playable, neither are simple games like neverball or
> tuxracer.
> I´ve heard from other users as well as from tests that the performace is
> well enough to play q3 (about 5fps),
> while I get only about 5fps.
> What could be the reason?
There are two things which come to mind (additionally to what felix
mentioned already). Is this a crippled 64bit memory interface card?
These are typically only about half (maybe slightly better) as fast as
the 128bit cards (enabling hyperz and color tiling should help some, you
need xorg 6.9 for both features, and hyperz needs to be manually
enabled). The games you mentioned should still be playable though even
with the 64bit cards. If this is a pci radeon 9250, that could also
explain the slow performance. In theory, this should not really cause a
performance loss, but for some yet unknown reason the pci radeon rv250
based cards are a LOT slower than the agp ones.

Roland