Performance issue

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Mon Jan 30 13:28:33 PST 2006

Michael Stather wrote:
> I did some additional tests and found out that only neverball and torcs
> aren´t playable, q3 is (sorry I thought q3 would also not be playable).
> But this is strange since thay have a much simpler graphics as q3 has.
> If q3 has a decent framerate these "home-made" games should work also.
> My card is an AGP one, I don´t know whether it´s a 64-bit one or not.
> Do you have any explanation for that?
you could look in the xorg log file, that should tell you if it's a
64bit one or not (though there were bugs in that detection code, not
sure if it's correct in 6.8 if you're using that). Or you can look at
the card, if it has only 4 (rectangular) ram chips it's 64bit for sure.
Low profile cards are 64bits usually too.
Quake3 actually might have a lower polygon count than those other games
(not sure). It is also well optimized, dunno if these other games are (I
think they should still be playable in any case though). If you hit some
strange driver performance problem you might be able to gather some more
information with oprofile.

Roland