Need help to get VGA-to-TV working with Radeon 9250

Sebastian sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Tue Jan 31 04:37:51 PST 2006

On Fr, Jan 27, 2006 at 09:38:18 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> you can definitely use both the DVI and the VGA port at the same time.
>  you can either run as one big desktop (mergedfb or dualhead with
> xinerama) or as two independant heads (:0.0 and :0.1) where only the
> mouse moves between them or cloned with each crtc drving a head with
> different timings. If you actually have a dvi monitor attached to the
> DVI port, you'll need set the primary crtc to TMDS (digital output),
> not CRT (analog DAC). so for clone or dualhead you'd need to have
> monitorlayout set to "TMDS, CRT" this assumes you will be using both
> heads at once.  If you try and use clone mode, it probably won't work
> since your digital monitor will probably not like a weird interlaced
> mode.  In that case you'll have to set up a mode the panel does like
> and then set up metamodes (see radeon man page) to drive the panel and
> tv cable with different timings.
>
> Alex

Hi Alex,

I still would like to be able to disable DVI and just use VGA while the
DVI cable is still plugged in. I saw your "superpatch" in bugzilla and
thought I should try it out because you wrote that you have fixed various
issues with the driver.
I compiled X from CVS but somehow couldn't get it going. I reinstalled
modular xorg afterwards and just copied over the *_drv.so files.
It didn't fix my issues, though :( Well, at least I tried.

Sebastian

--
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." (HST)