special resolution with xorg

dave madden dhm at mersenne.com
Tue Jan 31 12:16:53 PST 2006

    ND> I recently got this sony picturebook subnotebook and after
    ND> some struggling I managed to get gentoo working on it.  But
    ND> there is a problem with the ultrawidescreen-resolution
    ND> 1024x480 and xorg (or maybe solely the neomagic
    ND> driver?!).

I have a PCG-C1VN PictureBook with a 1024x480 LCD, and the automatic
configuration in Slackware-10.2 set up xorg.conf properly without any
tweaking.  On my laptop, the video card was detected as an ATI Rage
Mobility P/M, and uses the ati driver.  I don't know whether Sony used
different video chipsets in other PictureBooks.

Here are the relevant sections from my xorg.conf.  As you can see, I
don't have any Mode lines at all -- it just works.  The X server
version is 6.8.2.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"