Improving Xorg

Martin Bochnig mb1x at gmx.com
Sat Jul 1 07:44:09 PDT 2006

> > On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 02:48:33PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> > > I have a single checkout of cvs/git sources and use lndir to make links
> > > it from directories in which I build 32-bit & 64-bit on both SPARC &
> > x86/x64
> > > for Solaris, and even gcc vs. Sun compilers.
> >
> > autotools supports srcdir != builddir, so you can do something like
> > this:
> > mkdir obj-amd64
> > cd obj-amd64
> > ../configure --prefix=/usr etc
> > make
> > sudo make install
> > cd ..
>

> I'm not Alan Coopersmith, but you're quite right.
> This is one of the new benefits after the switch to autotools.
> One may at first overlook it for Xorg, after having used lndir for many years.

Though I don't think, that Alan Coopersmith continues to use lndir "by accident" / he might well have his good reasons.
Depending on his personal preferences  and on how his wrapper scripts are implemented etc., but also:

lndir offers advantages over using ../[whatever]/configure a hundred times.
Because you can apply lndir on the whole modular Xorg 7.x tree, from the Xorg_modular - root I mean.
You do only need one single (lndir generated) sub-branch (from Xorg-root_parent level) per platform, Compiler, whatever combination of those.
Not hundreds of subbranches per  each Xorg_modular subfolder.

That's not  only less work, but also much better to monitor and less error-prone.

Just my nickel on building the copper plate.
Note that I'm not yet very familiar with the modular and autotools based Xorg tree (in fact, almost not at all).

Cheers,
marTin