Performance change from X in Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jul 9 08:42:48 PDT 2006

Ar Sul, 2006-07-09 am 13:56 +0100, ysgrifennodd Roo:
> suspect the introduction of Cairo (and the change to GTK to use it
> exclusively), but obviously I can't prove that since there is no facility

If I remember correctly you can tell Gtk to do the cairo stuff client
side (which works rather better on the whole) by patchng Render support
out of your X server.

> Performance is the elephant in the room when it comes to GTK... so
> discussing it with GTK developers is a pointless task.

Gtk makes sequences of requests to the X server and tries to do so in an
intelligent manner. The X server then makes a mess of implementing it
efficiently on some cards, but still advertises render support. Thats
arguably the real mistake.

Alan