SetPointerMapping protocol braindeadedness

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at sun.com
Mon Jul 10 15:17:23 PDT 2006

Egbert Eich wrote:
> Daniel Stone writes:
>  > >
>  > > Would it be better to add a 'fixedSetPointerMapping' to XFIXES?
>  >
>  > This is doable.
>
> Right. The question is - should we bother?
> Retaining the old (sometimes broken) protocol behavior as much
> as possible seems to be the way to go to ensure that those of the
> tons of legacy apps that may need the old behavior continue to
> work.

Are there any apps other than test suites that depend on SetPointerMapping
not allowing multiple buttons with the same mapping?

It would seem much more likely they'd depend on GetPointerMapping not
returning a mapping with buttons that are mapped to the same value,
so that's where you'ld want to add something to XFixes (perhaps making
the non-XFixes GetPointerMapping return 0 for those buttons).

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com