Different xorg for different configs

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jul 31 03:48:46 PDT 2006

Paul Kaplan wrote:
> I know how to use different server layout stanzas in xorg.conf to configure X
> for different situations.  How would I get X to determine whether an external
> monitor is attached to my system at boot time and then call the appropriate
> server layout without any intervention on my part?
>
> I have a xinerama enabled config that works with my external monitor attached,
> but leaves me with a largely inaccessible piece of my desktop when the
> monitor isn't present.

Depending on what h/w and drivers you are using you can make it work
automatically.

I've got a nVidia TwinView setup that works nicely with and without an
external monitor connected. Needs to be connected at boot time to work
but hopefully some of the RandR changes being discussed just now will
fix this too (something I've missed in Xorg for a long time is the
ability to just plug in an external monitor/projector etc. and have it
"just work").

Col.