Some benchmarks with Radeon and Xorg7.1

Paulo J. Matos pocmatos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 12:29:24 PDT 2006

On 09/06/06, Ori Bernstein <rand.chars at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 16:38:17 +0100, "Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos at gmail.com> said:
>
> > I've tested X against three options: AGPFastWrite, EnablePageFlip and
> > AccelMethod. Both of these have 2 possible values, True/False for the
> > first two and XAA/EXA for the last one. I start fluxbox, 54 processes
> > are running with an average of 0% CPU, 138112 used RAM and 377896 free
> > RAM. The benchmarks table is as follows (CPU is average during
> > glxgears runtime and FPS are given by glxgears):
>
> Now, repeat after me:
> "glxgears is not a benchmark"
> "glxgears is not a benchmark"

"glxgears is not a benchmark"

Gotit! :)
Still, for a person, not into the details of the Xserver is the
easiest way to take a "benchmark"... or ok, delete "benchmark". It's
the easiest way to test option impact.

If you know an easier way, or another way at all, I'm all ears.

> Furthermore, XAA and EXA are 2d acceleration architectures. they DO NOT AFFECT
> 3d drawing.

That's new for me! So, what would be the best way to test the impact
of these on current apps?

--
Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at sat inesc-id pt
Web: http://sat.inesc-id.pt/~pocm