API for finding out whether your X monitor is on the current VT

Ilya Konstantinov future at shiny.co.il
Sat Jun 17 03:10:02 PDT 2006

Hi,

I've been looking, without success so far, for an existing extension +
API that'll allow me to find out whether my X session is on the current
VT (Virtual Terminal) ?

In other words, on a computer with many concurrent X sessions (or an
active console user), is my X session currently being displayed and so
will likely to get the user's attention?

I'd appreciate any pointers. I can envision a way to do this that'll
work on a local machine and require root (to access /dev/console), but
I'd rather avoid that.

Thanks.