Issues w/ Xorg 7.0, Dell L610, and i810 drivers

Alan Hourihane alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 21 11:45:21 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 16:34 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 15:36 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using a Dell L610 to run FC5 (updated), and it has an i915GM controller,
> >> which uses the i810 drivers...
> >>
> >> I can't seem to configure it correctly (I've attached the config I'm
> >> using).  It seems to have two issues.
> >>
> >> (1) it probes for the monitor DDC sync values, which disagree with what I've
> >>     explicitly configured, but looking at the Xorg.0.log file, it gives
> >>     no indication of what the EDID actually said the values were (grrr... you
> >>     can never have too much logging).
> >>

> > You've actually specified "noddc" so it's not going to read the DDC
> > information.
> >

> I've tried it both ways, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.
>
> And since it won't tell me what it thinks the sync-timings of the flat-panel
> are, I can enter those manually into xorg.conf in the "Monitor" section.

>From what I can see it is detecting DDC and showing you the sync timings
as well as using them.

> I also can't tell if the built-in screen is LFP, and if it's on PipeA or
> PipeB,
> etc...

Again, according to the log, it certainly shows you it's an LFP on
PipeB.

> >> (2) it then complains that "1400x1050" isn't a known modeline (no mode of
> >>     this name), even though I've explicitly configured a modeline with that
> >>     exact setting.
> >>

> > Specifying a modeline with the i810 driver without a matching BIOS
> > modeline is fruitless.
> >

> You'd think the BIOS would know the modeline for the native resolution
> of the panel!

You would, but this is a majorly common problem. Look at bug 643 on
bugs.freedesktop.org to see.

> > You should check out the program i915resolution to override one of your
> > existing modes to the 1400x1050 mode. Given that your BIOS manufacturer
> > neglected to add a 1400x1050 mode into the BIOS - this is currently your
> > best route - unless you want to build the "modesetting" branch from git
> > which programs the modes directly.
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> >
> > Alan.
> >

> I hate VBE.
>
> Grrr.
>
> Usually the Dell hardware is fairly solid.  Are we positive that there's no
> VBE mode for 1400x1050?  I made some minor changes to the config...
> now I'm not getting that warning any longer, but the local flat-panel is
> coming up 1280x1024...  As if the settings for the two monitors were
> backwards...

Positive. No mode for 1400x1050 so use i915resolution, or the
"modesetting" branch as I've mentioned.

Alan.