evdev driver issue

Vinay Reddy vinayvinay at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 20:47:38 PDT 2006

Hi,
I'm developing an absolute USB mouse (which has 2 absolute axes, for
one for X and the other for Y and one relative axis for the scroll
wheel) and I'd like to use the built-in evdev drivers for the mouse.
The mouse works perfectly fine on Windows, but there seem to be quite
a few issues with Linux. I'm using X11R7.0 on Ubuntu Dapper Drake.

When I move the mouse, the cursor jumps around for a while before
ultimately settling at the right location (during this time the CPU
utilization goes to 100%). This I feel shouldn't happen as I've logged
the USB packets in the kernel hid-core.c driver and they seem to be
perfectly fine (and the values don't jump around). I've also logged
the values in the evdev driver for X and the values here are fine too.
I feel that X is receiving junk events from elsewhere, but there are
no other mice that are connected to the computer.

Also, when I remove this relative axis in hardware, this jumping
around is gone, but the mouse seems to be moving only in straight
lines (when I move it diagonally, it firstly moves in Y and then in
X). So, the jumping somehow seems to be connected to the relative
axis...

Also EvDevCorePreInit (in evdev.c) always fails and returns NULL. The
evdev X driver ends up calling EVIOCGRAB...

If any of you have any insight into what's going on, I'd appreciate it
if you could share it with me...

Here's the output when I run evtest on my mouse device:

> Input driver version is 1.0.0
> Input device ID: bus 0x3 vendor 0x000 product 0x2 version 0x100
> Input device name: "USB Mouse"
> Supported events:
>  Event type 0 (Reset)
>   Event code 0 (Reset)
>   Event code 1 (Key)
>   Event code 2 (Relative)
>   Event code 3 (Absolute)
>  Event type 1 (Key)
>   Event code 272 (LeftBtn)
>   Event code 273 (RightBtn)
>   Event code 274 (MiddleBtn)
>   Event code 275 (SideBtn)
>   Event code 276 (ExtraBtn)
>  Event type 2 (Relative)
>   Event code 8 (Wheel)
>  Event type 3 (Absolute)
>   Event code 0 (X)
>     Value      15432
>     Min        0
>     Max    65535
>   Event code 1 (Y)
>     Value      45432
>     Min        0
>     Max    65535
> Testing ... (interrupt to exit)

Also, here's the xorg.con section for my mouse (it's the only mouse):

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Absolute Mouse"
    Driver      "evdev"
   Option     "Mode"  "absolute"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
    Option     "evBits" "+1-2"
    Option      "keyBits" "~272-287"
    Option     "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
    Option     "absBits" "~0-16"
EndSection

Also, changing these options doesn't seem to do much....

Thanks,
Vinay