live (without restart) xinerama and/or multiple concurrent sessions configuration?

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Jun 26 09:00:47 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 16:54 +0200, DANIELLLANO at terra.es wrote:
> I have the common i855GM present in most centrino laptops.
>
> I'd like to be able to add xinerama and/or another desktop (with it's
> mouse & keyboard) LIVE without having to restart X and easily from a GUI
> in X.
>
> Is that possible in any distribution?
> Is that possible at all?
> If it's not possible right now, what needs to be done to have live &
> easy xinerama setup just like MSWindowsXP does (being also able to setup
> resolutions and rotate monitors live.)?

Keith Packard has proposed a spec update for the Randr extension which
will expose run-time multihead configuration and we're working on an
implementation of exactly this right now.  I'm hoping to have something
testable by OLS in July.

Monitor rotation at runtime is already doable, and I've got reasonable
hot-plug clone mode almost finished in the modesetting branch of
xf86-video-intel.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com