Mass git migration

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Thu Jun 29 12:18:43 PDT 2006

On 6/29/06, Ian Romanick <idr at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>
> > If there are no objections, I can do this Friday, and we should be all
> > set.
>
> I tried to convert xf86-video-mga last week, but ran into problems with
> parsecvs.  It appeared to work correctly, but git-checkout only got 12
> of the original 49 files that were in CVS.  Can you verify that parsecvs
> is working correctly?

At the end of each conversion, my script does a cvs export of cvs HEAD
and a git-checkout-index (equivalent of cvs export) and runs a
recursive diff on the two directories.  I thought about doing this for
every branch head too, but I that's going overboard.  Maybe doing it
for the 1.0.0 and 1.1.0 branches would be worthwhile.

> I'd hate to see everything moved to git, but have all the repositories
> by completely broken.  Perhaps before moving everything to kemper a full
> build should be done?

As Daniel mentions, git checkout master as mentioned on the migration
page doesn't actually work as suggested.  git reset --hard does, or as
I'm doing in the script:

    git-read-tree master
    git-checkout-index -a --prefix=git-checkout/

This gives the expected results and so does a git clone of the newly
created repository.  On all the repositories I test-converted, I
didn't get any differences from the recursive diff check.

cheers,
Kristian