[ANNOUNCE] libX11 1.0.3

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Fri Jun 30 20:38:32 PDT 2006

On 6/30/06, Donnie Berkholz <spyderous at gentoo.org> wrote:
> Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> >> Git tag: libX11-1_0_3
> >
> > Shouldn't we use more readable tags such as libX11-1.0.3 now that our
> > version control system supports that?
>
> Yeah, I've thought about this a little. Just a couple of ideas about this:
>
> - We'd need to migrate all old tags over, and there may not be an easy
> way to automate this since underscores don't always translate into dots.

I wasn't thinking of renaming old tags, just using dots going forward.
 But you're right, if we change our convention and start using dots it
would be nice if all tags consitently used dots.  While just
substituting '_' for '.' wont work, it should be easy enough to set up
a translation map for the tags we want to rename and run a script over
all xorg repos to rename those tags.  Or maybe we just want to
introduce new-style aliases instead of renaming, but either way, this
part is pretty easy.

> - We can't know that any future SCM will allow dots in tag names, but we
> can feel fairly confident that it will be compatible with CVS naming.

I would hope that this point is mostly moot.  We're not switching SCM
in the near future, and if we did, it had better support richer tag
names than CVS.  And if all fails, we can just rename the tags back
before converting to this new SCM.

cheers,
Kristian