Xgl and direct rendering

Zack Rusin zrusin at trolltech.com
Wed Mar 1 08:37:54 PST 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 17:18, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Feb 28, 06 20:51:04 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 19:20 +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> > > I consider hardware overlay broken by design. It has already
> > > given me tons of nightmares.
> >
> > Existing hardware overlays provide significantly better video
> > quality than textured video; they generally have long filters for
> > scaling the image accuately. There will be significant use cases
> > (e.g. myth tv) for which video overlays are a fairly strong
> > requirement.
>
> But I think you will have issues with kdrive as well, as composition
> won't work ;-)

For those cases it doesn't have to. It's the same issue with fullscreen
apps for direct rendering and xv. All we need is an event that says
"hey, i'm going fullscreen, therefore you'll never compose on top of
me". It's something I mentioned I'm going to do at the xdevconf in
Germany last year and never got to =)

Zack

--
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices. -- William James