Xorg 6.9.0 freezes on AMD64 system with nvidia 6200 GPU

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Mar 2 22:26:13 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 08:09 -0800, Robert Gilaard wrote:
> Ok, I noticed that it's NOT the application that hangs
> but the Xorg server.
>
> I just started mozilla and after a few moments of
> browsing the screen freezes. However, I can still se
> my mouse, but it doesn't react anymore on any action
> and it also doesn't change it glyph when moving over
> the apps. I then killed the mozilla app this time, but
> with no result.
> The mozilla app is gone from the process list, but on
> the screen of my desktop it is still showing....
>
> Look at the process list now (I am running a postgres
> job on the system now):

Alternatively, sending a SIGSEGV to the server should cause it to dump a
backtrace in it's log...

There have been issues related to the 6xxx nvidia's that have been fixed
later in the dev. process, I wonder if this version of 6.9 he's using
has the fixes or not. Is it a "proper" 6.9 or some earlier relase ?