font is rendered wrong on one machine, ok on an identical other

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Wed Mar 8 11:46:38 PST 2006

I've been tinkering with this for days now and can't figure what's going on.

Have a look at this picture please:
http://www.vaultofsages.de/~dexterf/pub/lucida.png

The window in the foreground is my current system, namely Slackware-current
with Xorg 6.9.0 + ATI fglrx 8.22.5, KDE 3.5.1, freetype 2.1.9, patented
hinting not enabled.

The window in the background is a screenie taken from a virtual machine:
the very same Xorg packages, the same KDE packages, the same freetype, only
difference is that xorg.conf uses vmware, not fglrx.

Both use the font Lucida Grande 8.

Now as one can see first of all the letters are wider. Next the lines are
somehow thinner, sharper. Note: I use the same settings for font hinting/font
AA in both systems.
The files in /etc/fonts/ are identical tho in the VM there is one more file
"Fontmap", I have no idea who or what created it.

The most striking difference is the render or hinting error in the letter "ö"
which right half is about twice as thick as the left half.

I've checked xdpyinfo of course, it's 98x104 dpi on both systems, so no
difference here either.

Where does the difference come from?

Dex

--