Disabling drag events?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Mar 10 19:02:29 PST 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:11:46 -0500 "Kit Peters" <popefelix at gmail.com> babbled:

> I've got several touchscreens at my work for which I need to disable drag
> events.  This would not be such a big deal except that the input driver is
> proprietary - TouchWare from 3M (
> http://www.3m.com/3MTouchSystems/downloads/Linux_drivers.jhtml) on a
> MicroTouch II USB device.  The driver doesn't recognize any option to
> disable drag events, and it's making our application that runs on these
> touchscreens unusable.  So my boss had the bright idea that maybe we could
> disable drag events altogether in X, and just distribute our modified,
> dragless version of X with our application.  Before I bury myself in the
> latest Xorg source, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where
> to look?
>
> I'm open to the possibility of moving away from the TouchWare drivers as
> well, provided some manner of calibration utility exists for that driver.
> I've tried Kenan Esau's evtouch driver, but unfortunately his calibration
> utility doesn't work, and I'm not familiar enough with the hardware to fix
> it.

if it is just your APPLICATION that needs to not have motion events... then why don't u simply disable it listening to mouse motion events? (dependant on if its xlib, or you use a toolkit like qt/gtk etc.) you likely can get control over the eventmask of a window somehow and simply turn off motion events (and button motion events) in the mask. no need to hack a new version of x (quite problematic to ship) and no need to even modify the toolkit. you can probably do it entirely from the application.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)