Future ATI Radeon X1300 series support?

Mike Kasick mkasick-xorg at club.cc.cmu.edu
Sat Mar 11 21:24:48 PST 2006

I'm interested in purchasing one of the new Thinkpad T60s to install
Debian on.  According to Lenovo's product page, the T60 comes with the
Intel GMA 950 video chip on the low end models, and the new ATI Mobility
Radeon X1300 chip on the high end models.

As far as I can tell, the Radeon X1300 series is neither supported by
the X.org ATI driver, nor ATI's proprietary driver.  I'm not
particularly interested in 3D acceleration, but I would be interested in
using 2D acceleration that has been provided by the X.org driver for
past Radeon cards.  However, I understand that the new Avivo engine is a
significant departure from the previous Radeon 2D engines and would
require significant driver development to support.

Is there any interest in supporting the Radeon X1300 (and beyond) in
X.org?  Is anyone currently working on a driver for it?

Perhaps more specifically, has anyone requested specifications from ATI
for the Avivo display engine?

If it is likely that a driver supporting the X1300 series will be in the
works in upcoming months I may be interested in purchasing the T60.
However, if this ends up being a situation where ATI is unwilling to
give out specifications for even the 2D engine on these cards, and the
only free software support would be the vesa driver, I will have to
consider an alternative.

Thanks.