Trying to get a 2 screen one display working.

Clyde E. Kunkel linuxfool2231 at cox.net
Wed Mar 15 10:40:06 PST 2006

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 3/15/06, Jon Bowman <jon.bowman at bowmannet.us> wrote:
>> I am running Solaris with xorg 6.9  and a ATI Mobility 7500 graphics card.
>>
>> In a previous version of xorg I had things setup where my laptop
>> monitor  and an
>> external monitor  were on a different screens but one display (:0.0 & :0.0).
>> Note these were not
>> xineramed. I could move the pointer between screens but not windows.
>> Also as
>> a point of note the 2 screens are different resolutions.
>>
>> I hope the terminology is correct I am still trying to wrap my head
>> around some
>> of the X terminology.
>>
>> I think around 6.9 it would seem; things broke for me and  can't get the
>> magic
>> incantation to work. The xorg.conf I had before causes a panic which
>> appears to be the result of having both
>>
>> Screen
>>
>> and
>>
>> MonitorLayout
>>
>> lines in the Device section.
>>
>> (I attached the xorg.conf and the log from the system thats working on
>> xorg 6.8.99.903).
>>

>> Basically its has  a ServerLayout that specifies Screen0 and Screen1
>> where Screen1
>> is on the RightOf Screen0.
>>
>> (**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
>> (**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
>> (**) |   |-->Device "Card0"
>> (**) |-->Screen "Screen1" (1)
>> (**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor1"
>> (**) |   |-->Device "Card1"
>>
>> Card0 and Card1 are the same physical graphics card (Radeon Mobility 9700).
>>
>> If anyone has any suggestion on how to convert the existing xorg.conf to
>> 6.9 I
>> would greatly appreciate it.
>
> the same config should work unchanged between 6.8.x and 6.9.x,
> unfortunately, there seem to be some issues with dualhead on radeon in
> the 6.9 and 7.0 servers.  You might try  changing the modes on each
> each using xrandr or Ctrl-Alt-+/-, that seems to work around the
> problem on mergedfb.
>
> Alex
>
>> thanks
>> Jon

Similar problem here with two separate radeon cards: one 9200 AGP and
one 9200 SE PCI.  Worked great on 6.8.2, but same xorg.conf on 6.9 or
7.0 causes complete system lockup with screen on PCI card just a mass of
various colors.  Log says since no monitor section for second port on
each card, MergedFB/Clone mode disabled.  Going to go look for a bug on
this and if none, will start one.

--
Regards,

Old Fart