[patch] abstract socket support for xtrans

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 13:18:00 PST 2006

On Sunday 19 March 2006 20:03, Jamey Sharp wrote:

> I assume the release managers and distributions aren't opposed to
> cross-module version build dependencies? I don't see any problem with
> picking one common interface for xtrans and then fixing all the callers
> to use it. You'll have to update them to quit #include-ing xtrans.c
> anyway. :-)

 Well, yes, that's the idea :) It would actually be fairly easy if it weren't
for all the conditional compilation based on what library is #include'ing it.

> My work will make all X11_t issues irrelevant anyway: libX11 will use
> XCB in place of xtrans for the connection to the X server. (xtrans
> continues to be used for XIM, but at least there's only one copy
> compiled in instead of two...) But I think it's valuable to have xtrans
> fixed up in the meantime.

 ... if it's going to disappear, I'm not going to waste time on it. I'd prefer
to have a fixed up interface that can be used just as easily from XCB/XCL and
from FS/ICE/whatever else uses it. The principle of isolating the application
layer from the transport layer is a good one.

Bill