[patch] abstract socket support for xtrans

Tue Mar 21 16:56:53 PST 2006

Jamey Sharp wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:16:25AM +0000, Bill Crawford wrote:
>>Stripping the xtrans layer down to just unix and tcp sockets would actually
>>make life a lot simpler, as we've already seen. Eliminating it altogether is
>>possibly the right approach, in fact. I'm a little sad, 'cause I was looking
>>forward to rewriting it :) but I wouldn't mourn long.
>

> I think there would be few objections to eliminating xtrans altogether,
> and perhaps much rejoicing. :-) You gonna go for it?

It was nice to have a central place to do much of the IPv6 updating, but it
didn't cover enough to make it the only place I had to touch.

The only transport we support on Solaris in xtrans other than sockets is
named pipes, which once upon a time were faster than Unix sockets on Solaris,
but I don't think are today.   (Our shared memory transport is actually done
in libX11 and the Xserver itself, and as far as xtrans is concerned is just
a Unix socket or named pipe that doesn't get a lot of data written over it.)

My biggest question about removing it is are we sure that sockets are the one
and only transport API we will ever want to use, on all systems, for all time?

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com