[article] trimming down autoconf's configure scripts by using pkg-config

Rogelio Serrano rogelio.serrano at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 21:09:07 PST 2006

On 3/22/06, Enrico 'nekrad' Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> here's a little article I wrote about an approach for encapsulating
> platform dependent stdc-lib fixes (ie. some platforms have broken
> string handling, etc) behind pkg-config.
>
> It is mostly directed on autoconf (It is the one I have most of my
> daily trouble with), but of course the approach works with other
> buildsystems, even plain make, too.
>

> The permanent URL of the article:
>
> * http://www.metux.de/articles/coding/trimming-down-autoconf-with-pkg-config
>
> I'm also currently working on concrete wrapper packages:
>
> * http://wiki.metux.de/public/OSS_QM_Taskforce/projects/stdc-pkgconfig
>

> Comments and suggestions please to the Maillist:
>
>  oss-qm-discuss at metux.de
>

> Thanks.
>
> --

I think its better to improve on autoconf. Like splitting the config.h
file into smaller pieces. And then just probing for a particular
feature without any reference to machine-arch-platform at all. And
then just use some kind of language more protable than shell script.

--
www.smsglobal.net SMS Global Ltd Short Message Service For Seafarers