[article] trimming down autoconf's configure scripts by using pkg-config

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Mon Mar 27 17:22:03 PST 2006

* Rogelio Serrano <rogelio.serrano at gmail.com> schrieb:

<snip>

> > That's more or less what autoconf does, except that it _generates_
> > the "test C source files" using the shell script.
> >

> But that can break. It happens often when i try to build old packages.
> Like the sdsi tarball from MIT. The configure script was so old I had
> to update it but autotools gave back errors that just seem to keep
> coming back even if i fixed it. I had to install older autotool
> versions to build it. I think autoconf 2.13 and autoconf 2.50 will
> cover packages of whatever vintage.

ACK. I've got the same problems. I had to fix a lot of packages
to get ./configure rebuilt.

You may have a look at my collected patches:

    rsync://sources.metux.de/metux-patches/

<snip>

> Maybe we can just ship some data file that can be read by a utility?

That's what I suggested some month ago on one of the X-maillists -
perhaps someone remembers ...

I'm now working on an more general approach: modeling the software's
structure with an tree.

An slightly outdated wiki page:

    http://wiki.metux.de/public/TreeBuild

<snip>

> Something like:
>
> header unistd.h
> library libpth
> symbol whatever
> run yacc
> run install -D
> run install -d

Bad approach. Still command-oriented, and so still too platform dependent.

Better modelize the *essential structure* of the software.

I'm currently working on an tree-based buildsystem and porting
several X.org packages. If you're interested, I can post my buildfiles.

For detailed discussion about this builldsystem, please join my maillist.

cu
	rsync://sources.metux.de/metux-patches