How to bring up a window really quickly?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Mar 29 23:26:12 PST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:18:24 +0100 Ross Burton <ross at burtonini.com> babbled:

> On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 16:29 -0700, Tamas Kerecsen wrote:
> > Unfortunately when some (even low priority) application causes memory
> > swapping by allocating/freeing a large block, any (even RT priority)
> > application is blocked from memory allocation until the first
> > allocation is sorted out. When switching applications, the X server
> > (and probably the X lib too) tries to do memory allocation, and thus
> > displaying the screen slows to a crawl.
> >
> > So the obvious solution (running a full screen X client that displays
> > the desired screens, putting it in the background; then bringing it on
> > top  when needed) is not working. Sometimes bringing the window
> > forward and redrawing it takes several (tens of) seconds.
>
> I'd consider the obvious solution "buy more RAM".  If your system is
> running out of RAM and swapping that much -- in normal and expected use
> -- then you obviously need more RAM.

good point - since he mentioned "getting specific hardware with overlay
support" was an option... more ram thus must be an option...

or - stop using up so much ram! stop running ram hungry apps/processes, replace
them with leaner ones, or figure out why they use so much and reconfigure them
to use less (a great eater of ram is fontconfig if you have lots of
international fonts installed - it will just open all of them and eat up ram
for fonts that you might not even display - just by having them installed and
the system fontconfig setup sets them up to be used - users can improve this
with personal fontconfig setups for example that just omit the fonts you don't
need - or remove them if you don't need them too)