State of the archive

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Tue May 2 02:58:57 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 03:52:51AM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> There are several things in the archive on annarchy that I'd like to see
> cleaned up before we start mirroring:
>
> - There are subdirs in individual/* where there shouldn't be.  For
>   example, individual/app/xdpyinfo/ and individual/proto/Randr/.  I
>   posted a message about this to the list a while back listing the files
>   from these subdirs and noting that they could be deleted.
> - The individual/xc dir shouldn't exist.
> - X11R6.8.1-save should not be in the archive -- it was a temporarily
>   saved version of an aborted release that was never deleted.

I've cleaned all of these up now.

> - Release candidates are useful during development but should not be
>   pushed to FTP mirrors.  This could be solved either by adding a new
>   dir named "archive/development" for the RCs, which is never mirrored
>   to ftp.x.org, or we could create a new "development" archive where RCs
>   could be placed (e.g., /srv/xorg.freedesktop.org/development).

Hrm.  Can you please explain why, given that we mirror the individual
directory?  I don't see why we should avoid mirroring the RCs if we
already mirror the individual directory, unless you're talking about
bandwidth/disk space concerns, which is understandable.

> - The X11R7.0 dir is meant for officially branded packages (i.e., those
>   with the release version in the name) while the individual dir is
>   meant for the unbranded packages.  Unfortunately, the unbranded
>   packages were accidentally put into the X11R7.0 dir as well as the
>   individual dir.  They should be removed from the X11R7.0 branded dir.

I've cleaned these up too.

> - Older releases should be read-only so that they cannot accidentally be
>   overwritten --  note that some are already read-only but not all.

Erm, all the non-RC old releases that I could see were read-only.  Do
you mean the R* -> X11R* symlinks?

> Since we're cleaning, there are also a few issues with the archive on
> ftp.x.org, which I'd like to see cleaned up on annarchy before we start
> mirroring:
>
> - The dir names are inconsistent and can be made uniform.  For example,
>   10R3 becomes X10R3, R4 becomes X11R4, etc.  It seems that most of this
>   has already been done on annarchy, but I think we might also be able
>   to remove the old names.

If this is possible, it would be handy.

> - Contrib.howto is grossly out of date and should be removed.

I already did that.

> - The DOCS dir is not mirrored on annarchy, but it appears to be quite
>   old info and probably could be moved to an "OLD" dir.  Not sure if we
>   want to call the dir "OLD" or something else.  Any suggestions?

If it's still useful, sure.

> - The unsupported dir is also quite old but some people might find the
>   files there useful.  Also a candidate for moving to an "OLD" dir.

Indeed.

> - The top level / files are out-of-date and could be cleaned up.

Which ones -- README, et al?

> Note these changes will cause quite a bit of traffic for the mirrors, so
> I'd like to make sure we're happy with the changes and then make them
> once.  After everything is ready to go and tested, we can enable rsync
> mirror.  I expect this will probably take a short while to complete, but
> hopefully not too long.  I'm happy to help with the clean up.

Looks like most of it's already been done. ;)

> In the mean time, I suggest that the current security patch for 6.9/7.0
> be copied to ftp.x.org, which should address the immediate concern about
> the missing security fix.  Also, any other fixes that are missing can be
> handled similarly as needed until the archive on annarchy is ready and
> the mirror is running.

individual/ as well ...