2 dual-head PCIe NVIDIA cards to be one screen

Andy Ritger aritger at nvidia.com
Tue May 2 15:42:18 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Alex Deucher wrote:

> On 5/2/06, Christian Parpart <trapni at gentoo.org> wrote:

> > > Well, I did this last year on a SuSE 9.0 machine, with what I believe
> > > was Xfree, and it Just Worked. The machine took 2 or 3 passes to
> > > detect all three graphics cards, but all I had to do was turn on
> > > Xinerama (as I recall it, or whatever it was called in the XF days, and
> > > the desktop spanned all three cards.
> > >
> > > I would tentatively have to assume that if that's stopped working,
> > > something's Broke.
> >
> > so is Xinerama also fine with OpenGL - most ideally with NVIDIA cards - too?
> > Well, okay, I'gonna push him for given xinerama a trial as soon as we found
> > some howtos on getting xinerama working :)
>
> I'm not too familiar with nvidia's driver, but normally xinerama
> doesn't work with direct rendering.

NVIDIA's OpenGL implementation supports direct rendering OpenGL
in Xinerama.  See the following link for details:

    http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8756/README/appendix-v.html

The nvidia-xconfig(1) utility, distributed with the NVIDIA driver,
should be helpful in configuring multiple GPUs with Xinerama.  See the
man page for details, but something like this should get you started:

    nvidia-xconfig --enable-all-gpus --xinerama

I hope that helps,
- Andy Ritger